5/31/2016

a lot of swearing and cookies

Stacey Seymour: What are the most rewarding and most challenging aspects about writing for you?

Adrienne Gruber: I get a kind of ethereal high from writing the first draft of a poem, particularly when it comes quickly. The probability of that high is pretty much what keeps me writing poems. The challenging part comes a few days, months or years later when I am trying to make the poem achieve its full potential. This is the gritty, ugly part of writing for me, which usually involves a lot of swearing and cookies. But as I revise, I can see each layer of a poem in its complexity. I begin to see what a piece can actually do and that’s incredibly satisfying.

- Adrienne Gruber in interview with Stacey Seymour over at BookThug. You can read the whole thing here.

No comments: