12/15/2011

keeping your eyes open

I’m very wary of this idea that poetry shouldn’t be political. I think that’s also a kind of reflexive opinion that a lot of people have, is that poems can’t be political or shouldn’t be political or should restrict themselves to the aesthetic sphere. I don’t believe that. I like that this poem that I just wrote attempts to engage with the issues that are happening right now. Most of my poems, in one way or another, do, but the way that they engage has more to do with trying to pay attention to language, and the way the language is used in these situations, and what’s happening. Being aware. Keeping your eyes open. And I think that’s very political, to pay attention.

- Matthew Zapruder, in an interview with Ryan Van Winkle for the Scottish Poetry Library Podcast. You can listen to the whole thing here.

No comments: