3/15/2011

tagged "personal"

The Other Side of Ourselves went to the printer yesterday! If I were a George Murray-esque aphorism, I would be "Anxiety is the love child of Excitement and Terror". Heavy on the excitement.

The book is out at the beginning of April. If you're keen, I've laid out the different ways you can pre-order it here.

Of late, I've been bunkered down in my house doing last minute edits (and a good deal of fact checking, which would quickly devolve into Wikipedia-surfing). It's about time for me to go outside again, and luckily I have a great reason to do so tonight:
Short Line Reading Series: Poets in Conversation
Tuesday, March 15th, 6:30 PM
The Railway Club
579 Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver
Featuring: Shannon Rayne, Warren Dean Fulton, Mariner Janes, Daniela Elza and Christine Leclerc
Free!
So long as the cold I'm currently bogged down with passes, I will be making a cameo appearance at the reading, performing this poem with Daniela Elza. More importantly, this reading will mark the literary return (of sorts) of Mariner Janes, one of my favourite poets from back in my High Altitude Poetry days up at SFU. You know how some people have talent, and other people have talent? Mariner's all over that second group.

And as if you needed any more convincing, you've got readings from Shannon Rayne, Warren Dean Fulton and Christine Leclerc. So for goodness sake, I'll see you there, right?

On the reading front, I've also added two new listings to the big reading list for March. We're now up to twenty-one for the month.

Oh, and last but certainly not least, I have a poem in the new "Form" issue of Poetry is Dead. Well, 1.22 poems, actually, as two lines from my poem in the last issue ("After the Game") are quoted in a cento by Tracy Stefanucci. The full poem in question is "We speak of silence, not in breath", a triptych in four parts (quadtych?). As I'm sure you, oh diligent silaron reader, are already aware, if you read the interview under the collaborative poem that I linked to three paragraphs ago, you'll see just how suitable it is that the publication of "We speak of silence, not in breath" coincides with my Short Line reading with Daniela. If you somehow missed the link, here it is again.

The issue also includes an essay by Jacob McArthur Mooney, an interview with Sina Queyras, and loads and loads of poems by loads and loads of poets (you can see much of the contributor list by clicking on, and expanding, the photo of the cover). Notable among the contributors is occasional silaron house guest Renee Saklikar, whose poem (a sestina) drops seven times as many F-bombs as my entire book. Congrats to Renee on that!

Alright, that's enough cough syrup-induced rambling for now.

I hope to see you tonight!

No comments: