10/03/2024

desk blog count: seven years for seventeen

I know you've spent many a day wondering why a man named Rob would continue to maintain his clunky old blogger site well over a decade after it fell out of fashion. And while that Rob would be rob mclennan, I take your point. I, too, have at times wondered why I keep the lights on around here.

But you see, some things are worth waiting for. Today that thing is lightbulb-shaped desk enthusiast Greg Mania, and his "Show Us Your Desk" series over at The Rumpus. That's right, Deskblogmaniacs, seven years after the last entry, we have found Desk Blog #17.

Desk Blog #17 is really an online interview series, run out of The Rumpus' Instagram page, but I'm going to count it, because, well, it's really just me and the other Rob actually blogging at this point. Instead, it seems, authors now let Johnny Bravo poke around their offices, live on the internet. 

Here are the sacrosanct seventeen:

On My Desk [Defunct: Archived Here]

Desk Space

Sitting Pretty Magazine

Writers' rooms (Guardian Newspaper)

What Is Your Ideal Space to Create? (Ploughshares Lit Journal)

"Workspace" Section (Branch Magazine)

At The Desk (Open Book Toronto)

Writers' Rooms (VIWF)

Good Places to Write

On The Writer's Desk (Open Book Toronto)

Where Do You Write to My Lovely?

10 Stunning Writing Studios (Flavorwire)

Writing Spaces (The New Quarterly)

3 Room Editors Share Their Writing Rooms With Us (Room Magazine)

Tiny Rooms of One's Own (Open Book Toronto)

From the Desk of (Real Pants Magazine)

Show Us Your Desk (The Rumpus) 


I'm sure I missed a desk blog or two over the past seven years, just as I'm sure more will come, in whatever form the latest technology permits. Desk podcasts hosted by Caillou and streamed into your LG SmartFridge or whatever. Whatever it is, the next desk blog will be, like all that came before it, gloriously redundant. And I will list it here, on this blog that will never die, because the desk blogs won't let it.

No comments: